The food industry is experiencing unprecedented changes that have been brought about by the COVID-19 pandemic. In India, CloudKitchens® delivery kitchens have become a go-to business model for many restaurateurs that don’t want to take too much financial risk. The reason why CloudKitchens® delivery kitchens are so popular can be attributed to the multitude of benefits it provides to the eateries that operate from their facilities, which are based in highly populated areas that offer plenty of customs on a daily basis. While that side of the business is taken care of by CloudKitchens® delivery kitchen providers like KitchenPlus, the owners still have to shoulder some of the burden and ensure their spaces are stocked with the necessary commercial kitchen equipment.
Since this can be a long and exhausting process, we at KitchenPlus have put together a simple guide to what commercial kitchen equipment food businesses will need to operate.
What equipment is necessary?
It’s important to come up with a plan on what commercial kitchen equipment you will need and how many of each appliance will be required to make your CloudKitchens® delivery kitchen fully functional. It is also vital to keep in mind that different types of cuisine will require varying types of equipment. Indian restaurants, for example, will need rice cookers to prepare aromatic basmati rice or deep fryers for samosas and pakoras. Let’s also not forget the tandoor oven, which is needed to prepare dishes like fresh and fragrant tandoori chicken and naan bread.
Sorting out all the commercial kitchen equipment you need can be a tiring procedure, so in order to make it simpler, it is necessary to break it down and ask yourself a few key questions.
- What kind of cuisine is my business specialising in? – This will be essential in identifying what kitchen tools and appliances will be needed to create all the exciting items on your menu.
- Do you have a lot of customers to serve? – If you have an expectation on how many people you will likely serve on a daily or weekly basis, you can then work out how much equipment you need.
- How much money can you afford to spend? – Having a clear budget is essential to running a successful food business. As a result, you should allocate enough to getting the equipment your kitchen needs while ensuring that there’s enough left over for other aspects of your eatery.
- What regulations exist? – If there are particular regulations certain equipment may infringe on, best steer clear of it!
With all that done and dusted, let’s see what commercial kitchen equipment businesses require to operate smoothly out of a CloudKitchens® delivery kitchen.
Ovens are likely a necessary piece of commercial kitchen equipment for every food business as they are used to cook a wide variety of dishes.
That being said, just remember there is a significant difference in power and price, whereby it can range from tens of thousands of rupees to hundreds of thousands.
Given the drastic variance in price, it is necessary to think of the following when buying the right one for your kitchen:
- Will it be used regularly when you cook?
- Is it vital to have the latest and best model?
- How much space is available in your kitchen for an oven?
- What type of oven do you really need – pizza, convection, commercial, etc.
Stoves are also regularly used by businesses operating out of CloudKitchens® delivery kitchens. But, it is important to decide which type of stove will be best for your kitchen as there are two to choose from.
- Gas stove – Enjoy full control over the temperature you cook your food, but be prepared for a hefty clean-up job afterwards. Also, it adds further potential health hazards in the kitchen, namely gas leaks and fires.
- Electric stove – More energy-efficient and much easier to clean. However, certain types of foods that need to be prepared in a specific way may not be possible to make on electric stoves.
#3. Fridges and freezers
Let’s chill out and look at the cooler side of the kitchen – fridges and freezers. Both are considered to be crucial pieces of commercial kitchen equipment as they are used to store food safely.
It is best to have your fridge between 0 and 4 degrees Celsius, while your freezer should be kept at -18 degrees Celsius to ensure the food stored inside remains as fresh as possible.
Prior to getting a fridge and freezer for your kitchen, keep these points in mind:
- How large do your fridge and freezer need to be?
- How much can you afford to spend on it?
#4. Ventilation system
Every kitchen needs proper airflow, which is provided by having a fully functioning ventilation system. Having one that is of subpar standard will not only put your employees at risk but your entire business as well since it could breach certain rules and regulations.
When having a ventilation system installed in your kitchen, you need to consider a few key points:
- How large is your kitchen space?
- Does it comply with India’s fire regulations?
- Is there enough airflow in the kitchen?
#5. Safety equipment
As well as ensuring proper ventilation, it is also important to have all the necessary safety equipment. CloudKitchens® delivery kitchen providers like KitchenPlus do have safety equipment available in their facilities, but it is always a good idea to check if you have the following:
- Fire extinguishers
- First aid kits
- Security cameras
#6. Speciality commercial kitchen equipment
Now we come to the commercial kitchen equipment that will vary for each and every food business. Speciality tools and appliances will no doubt be needed, but what kind of apparatus depends on the cuisine your eatery will be specialising in. With that in mind, here’s what your business could need:
- Tandoor oven
- Rice cooker
- Deep fryer
- Paniyaram pan
Chalo, let’s go!
Ensuring you have the right commercial kitchen equipment before launching your business from a CloudKitchens® delivery kitchen is essential. Make sure to list out what you need and set aside a budget that won’t have a detrimental impact on your eatery. Just remember that even though some of the commercial kitchen equipment you need is already provided, you will still need to invest a sizable amount into getting your CloudKitchens® Delivery Kitchen ready to fulfil the orders of hungry customers.
We at KitchenPlus know getting all the apparatus needed can be draining, so here is a list of some of the best commercial kitchen equipment suppliers in India to help speed up the process.
Now that everything has been touched upon, it’s time for you to get everything in order and take your CloudKitchens® delivery kitchen to the next level!
Got questions about KitchenPlus’ CloudKitchens® delivery kitchens, fill out the form at the bottom and we will provide you with all the assistance you need.